a person holding a baby

Fathers’ Rights and Name Changes

Changing Your Child’s Last Name

At Hobson & Hobson, we help fathers play a meaningful role in the lives of their children. We understand that a child born out of wedlock comes with challenges; with our experience and legal guidance, we help fathers work through those challenges, toward the best possible outcome.

Changing your name as an adult is a relatively straightforward process. However, a name change can be a point of conflict, especially if the child's other parent is essentially having their name erased. The Father can petition to have the child's name changed during the legitimation process without the consent of the mother. The court will typically look at how long the child has had the previous name, and what sort of an impact changing the name would have.